Tuesday, September 10, 2013

DIY Milk Can Lid Pendant


As you probably saw on my earlier post for my DIY Mason Jar Chandelier, I needed a light that had the same feel for over my kitchen sink. You could also do this with a mason jar, metal colander, even a wire basket; the possibilities are endless!!
What you'll need:
Item for your pendant shade, I used the metal lid from an old milk can.
Like I said, you could use a mason jar, colander, anything you can cut/drill a hole into.
Pendant Kit
I got mine at Lowe's for about $20.
You could also wire this from scratch using 18-2 lamping wire (or a lamp kit which can be found at any hardware store), a keyless socket (get which size you want for the type of bulb you want to use & make sure it is an exposed socket where you can see the threading around it, not smooth), wire nuts, canopy, & mounting bracket. You can follow my steps on the wiring in my Mason Jar Chandelier how-to.
Socket ring (if you didn't get a kit. This is what will hold your item.)
Drill
Tin Snips
Marker
Light bulb!
I used a vintage bulb that I got at Home Depot for about $9.

 
How to:
Your first step is to drill a hole into the top of whatever you are using. Make sure you trace on the top (you won't see any left over marker here) the socket you are using. Then use your drill to drill holes around it. I used tin snips to cut the remainder. Don't worry if it's not the prettiest, the socket ring will cover most of it but don't get out of control with it.
You should have something that looks like this.

Next, take your pendant and slide it through the hole. Use the socket ring on the other side to tighten against your shade (sorry I didn't get a picture of that, but its pretty self-explanatory.)
**I started this with a low voltage pendant I had lying around and switched to the Lowe's brand after so it looks a little different here.**

Now, you can wire your pendant up and enjoy. Now you have a fun little pendant, that didn't cost you a ton of money.






No comments:

Post a Comment