Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Why I Relay




I am participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life
because I want to make a meaningful difference in the fight against
cancer.

Cancer has been a plague on both sides of my family for as long as
most of us can remember. All different kinds to so many amazing
people.

Currently my Papa is battling lung cancer. He has done 2 rounds of
radiation, chemo and a pill therapy and can do nothing more since he is also battling COPD. The lung cancer is a result of Agent Orange and I'm sure working in
maintenance in the public school in Lawton OK in the 70's. He is such an amazing man and so strong. He strives to keep going even though we lost our Nana (his wife) a year ago so suddenly. So many times, I can't believe he hasn't just given up so he can be with her. I can only guess that he knows we need him too.


My Grandmother battled Renal Cell Carcinoma twice. It came back
after about 15 years. It took a toll on her health but she was a tough
woman. She recently left this world in April of last year. I miss her
everyday. She was another amazing woman in my life, who taught me so much about who I am, and who I should strive to be.
Both my Papa and Grandmother have shown me true strength and fight.
They are such amazing people and never give up. They are true
inspirations to me and I'm sure to other members of my family. I am
doing this walk to support theirs and other members of my family's
fights.

Every day the American Cancer Society is helping us stay well by
preventing cancer or finding it at its earliest most treatable
stages. They assist families in finding the best resources to help
their friend or loved one deal with a diagnosis and their journey to
get well. The American Cancer Society is also rallying communities
(like ours!) through events like Relay For Life to fight back and
find cures for this disease.

Please join my team or make a donation to help the American Cancer
Society create a world with less cancer and more birthdays. Together
we can help make sure that cancer never steals another year of
anyone's life!


If you would like to join our team in our walk this June or would just like to donate, visit our team's page The Moonwalkers.




 Images from last year's Relay.

No comments:

Post a Comment