Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fun Take on a Picture Frame

I actually did these frames as a birthday present for a friend. You could get creative on what you use for the frame...a block of wood, old cabinet door, etc. I actually have a lot of old wood samples from a furniture company from my work that I used.

What you'll need:
Whatever you are going to use for the main part of the frame
(Cabinet door, block of wood, be creative)
Picture
Accessories to add on
(Metal pieces, appliques, etc.)
Glue

So on these wood samples, one had a lot of texture and the other a lot of wax which makes it kind of hard to glue anything on. I had to use a paint stripper to remove the finish from the raised panel in the center.
(If you are going to do this step have a clean surface that nothing can possibly be ruined if it drips our spills.)
Wear thick rubber gloves, if the stripper gets on your skin it will burn extremely bad. Pour the stripper into something you don't care about: an old bowl our cup. I  used an old coffee pot I bought at the thrift store for a dollar for this very purpose. Use a paint brush and brush on the stripper. Let sit for about 30 mins. Use a paint scraper to scrape off the paint or finish. It may take a few applications to remove everything. Feel free to leave some for a rustic, antique look. When done clean with a damp cloth and let dry completely. I would use an old rag just in case it ruins it.
(Sorry I didn't get a picture of this)


Now once the board is ready, you are ready to add your photo. Now I antiqued mine on Adobe Photoshop. If you are not sure what steps to do to achieve this desired look, you can find plenty of step-by-step instructions online. I did this so it looked old and slightly scratched. I just printed this on plain paper and then trimmed the edges off with a paper cutter leaving about a 1/4" to a 1/2" for the next step.
Next I used a lighter to burn the edges (this is why I left the white edges so it burnt that and not into the picture). Now be very careful when doing this step. Just do a little section at a time and blow out...if you don't blow completely out it'll keep burning. This step can be very messy, it will leave ashes everywhere. Here is the finished result.

Next, use a Mod Podge to apply the picture to the board. Apply a coat to the back of the picture then lay the picture on top of the board.
Once you have it placed, apply another coat on top of the picture to seal and protect it.


















Here is what they look like once they have dried. It usually dries in about 20 minutes but I like to wait an hour just in case there are thicker spots that haven't dried.
Now you can accessorize your board. I added some fun metal corner piece. These are meant to go around a square corner so I had to flatten the side pieces so I could glue it on flat.
I then found these label holders. I printed "love" and "family" on pieces of scrapbook paper and glued them onto the back of them.





Then I used a hot glue gun to glue these onto the top of the boards.


Now you have your finished product!!


No comments:

Post a Comment